Sunday, March 1, 2009

And the Scale Says...

B's Mom called me today and said that the honeymoon resort needs to know how much we weigh. Now, this does make logical sense-- we're flying a tee-ninsey puddle hopper from one island to another, so they literally need to know our weights to see if the plane will fly. Eek!
Hilarious though. I couldn't help giving her a hard time. I told B that his Mom might be doing recon, checking out the numbers for the family history. Obviously she's not, but it was fun to tell her that I literally had no idea what my weight was.
So I went to the gym this afternoon, where they have a scale, and hopped on, weighing myself for the first time, well, almost ever. When they asked for it for my license, I made up a number (135) that seemed right (and now I know was waaay off then).
Today I weighed in at 140, which made me curious. What does 140 really mean? I went to mayoclinic.com and used their BMI calculator. Body Mass Index is a "formula that uses both weight and height to estimate body fat." I'm still not sure how the same calculator works for men and women, as I believe men can have a much lower BMI than women. So I typed in my height (5' 10"), then my weight (140) and clicked "enter."
I must've done something wrong, because my first result said "Your BMI is 34.4. You are obese." Eek! I started reviewing my diet. Well, I did eat a lot of girl scout cookies this weekend, and I had a martini last night. I haven't had much water, but shouldn't that help? I walk everyday!
I suspected something was wrong, albeit with Mayo than with my input, so I skipped over to the CDC's BMI calculator and entered my digits-- 20.1, "Normal." Ahhh. Better.
Weight's an interesting thing. Even though I know I'm healthy and that I eat well, the fact that a website's calculator told me I was "obese" made me start to review my habits and diet in a mild panic. Wonder what that says about me? Maybe mayoclinic.com has a self-therapy page, but I think I'll check with the CDC first...

1 comment:

~Mariah~ said...

You should try planing the Wii Fit, it tells you your BMI and everything and then you can play fun balance games and fall over in your living room. ~;o)