Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Thank You" Musings

As the big day draws closer, B and I have been suddenly (happily!) overwhelmed with such wonderful and thoughtful gifts from our friends and family. I love knowing that the cookies I make every Christmas will always remind me of a dear friend from college and her sweet boyfriend, and that each piece of my china is actually a physical representation of well wishes from close family friends. It's a neat feeling and, I'll be honest, I haven't actually let B write any thank you notes yet, because I'm so enjoying associating presents with the givers and thinking about what when and how we'll actually use their thoughtful gift.

The thing is, thank you notes can get tricky. Usually, when given a beautiful bowl, you'd say, "Thank you for the beautiful bowl," but it seems somehow odd to say that about a present you essentially picked out for yourself. "The bowl I picked out that you purchased sure is beautiful, eh? Boy do I have good taste!"

Granted, I've received many a wedding-related thank you note in my day and have never once thought, "well darn right it's a beautiful bowl, you picked it out!" In truth, I've loved getting thank you notes, which is probably what's sparked my insistence on doing them all to date. (B-- this doesn't mean you're totally off the hook, ok? I may punt at some point for help!)
So for now, I'm channeling my inner Miss Manners and writing greetings and heartfelt thanks and generally still feeling humbled that the people in our lives love us enough to go out and purchase such amazing gifts that will help us begin our own little home. Amazing gifts, of course, that I've preselected. Nothing like a beautiful bowl with a little pat on the back on the side...

1 comment: