Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wonderful Week

B and I had a fabulous time on his spring break. I picked him up a week ago on his way back from a bachelor weekend in Destin and we spent Monday through Wednesday just enjoying normal life in Birmingham before heading out for a long weekend with his parents.

But first, before Atlanta, we had to meet with the priest, so we spent a few nights working out the details of our ceremony then packed up on Thursday morning and headed to the Abbey, about an hour away. About half way there, I realized I'd forgotten to print our much-worked-on wedding ceremony lineup, and about three-quarters the way there, we realized the Abbot had never told us where exactly to meet him. I was picturing a one-building set up, but, when we arrived, we found ourselves smack in the middle of a campus.

We drove around the main roads, noticing a hooded man in front of the church, a handful of ladies, and a lot of high school kids in school uniforms, and finally parked in a visitors-looking lot and started walking around. We bypassed the kids and asked the ladies where we could find our Abbot. They directed us a few too many turns away and, as we left, it was clear we'd missed the boat. Then we ran into the hooded man, and B asked him where we could find Abbot Victor. "That's me," he said. "Don't you recognize me? I saw you driving around. Come with me."

As he turned to walk us inside, B and I exchanged "You've got to be kidding me" looks and followed along. We first met our Abbot in September, when he was living alone in the parish home in Florence. He was nice and kind then, but now, in retirement, he seems to have an extra pep in his step, plus the rosy-cheeked glow of a diet with three-square meals surrounded by friends and peers. He looks so happy! It made us both happy, and he joined our happiness when we left him with a box of homemade chocolate goodies.

He approved our ceremony and sent us on our way. En route to Atlanta, we stopped at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, a beautiful cathedral located in the rolling fields of Cullman, complete with cloistered nuns. We actually heard them singing when we entered the gold-covered church. Amazing. It's rare that B and I take time to pit stop just for ourselves, so it was really neat just enjoying something together. First, Cullman. Next, the world!

We headed to Atlanta from there, arriving in time to have dinner with his parents at our favorite all-things-ethnic restaurant, then got an early start of Friday by ordering the groomsmens' gifts, picking up his Granny at the airport, then heading to Macy's to get B some honeymoon must-haves, like a swimsuit and comfy shoes.

Friday night we had a great dinner with his buddies at Paul's and even caught the end of a few amazing basketball games before heading home. On Saturday, B's Mom's friends threw me an Entertaining shower, so I spent a few hours at a fabulous event with amazing food and the best hostesses ever. I had more fun hearing stories about B and just getting to know these amazing women in his Mom's life. My Mom was able to come, which made it extra special, especially when I opened the engraved cake knife she'd had made in my silver pattern (a heirloom given by my great aunt).

Saturday afternoon I was pretty worn out (part wine, part from the fun of bringing B over at the end of the shower), so we ran a few more errands, then got take-out for the family at home. We got through most of one of the Rambos and a little of Constantine before I gave out.

B had to leave this morning, but I got a special treat: trying on my dress for the first time. More on that later. Now, it's dinner time.

No comments: