Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Not-So-Ladies Lunch

One of the best parts about having B in town is getting to escape during lunch every day. Normally I just eat lunch at my desk, in part to save time, in part to finish the day a little earlier, and in part because the black bean soup leftovers never feel like they deserve to be reheated, taken outside, and consumed in one of our super nice dining areas.

But, when B's here, it's a great excuse to get out and, honestly, it makes all the difference during the day. I'm more efficient in the morning, because I have something to look forward to, and it's easier to buckle back down after lunch, because it's clearly defined and there's fun stuff waiting for me when the day is over. Walks! Cooking dinner! Watching a movie! All with B. All very fun.

Today we escaped to Homewood Gourmet, where I talked my sandwich-loving fiance into a local favorite: the pesto chicken sandwich with the baby blue salad. But, that wasn't without great thought...

B: The special today is the monte cristo... I wonder what it is.
Me: You love the monto cristo. Isn't it ham and turkey and buttery bread?
B: Not always.
Me: Just get it, I bet you'll like it.
B: (to waitress) Excuse me, what's the monte cristo sandwich?
Waitress: It's ham and turkey...
(Me smirking)
Waitress: ...with strawberry jelly...
(Me confused)
Waitress: ...on two pieces of french toast...
(B agape)
Waitress: ...topped with powdered sugar.
(Silence)
B: I don't think I'm up for something that rich.
Waitress: We can tell them to hold the powdered sugar, if you like.
B: I'll have the pesto chicken sandwich with the baby blue salad.
Me: Make it two.

2 comments:

~Mariah~ said...

I thought the Monte Cristo was usually deep fried. ~;o)

Little Red said...

That is simultaneously the most delicious and disgusting sandwich description I've ever heard. Only in the 'bama, my dear...only in the 'bama... :-)