Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Tell Me About Him..."

My fabulous potential cake guy just emailed me this:

Tell me more about him ??? ....his hobbies ???....Likes ?? Dislikes ???

And I had to think about it. I've described B to tons of people, even to a few of the priests we've met with who have asked me why I love him and who we are as a couple, but to try to convey the real truth about who B is over email to someone who has never met him without sounding like a personals ad... well, that's tough. Once I got it out, I thought I might should (ha! Love southern English) share it for those of you who haven't met him yet, or who haven't had the chance to really get to know him...

By the way, for his mother's sake and mine, I restrained myself from calling him "hot." While he definitely is, I feel like our cake guy can judge that on his own.

About B...

B and I met in college (Princeton) and have been dating for 5 years. He loves Vietnam movies, all music, and sports, namely Georgia Tech football and Braves baseball. He's become an Alabama football fan for me, but only because we're in different conferences.

In college, he was a history major and a KA. He also played baseball for the Princeton Tigers.

After college, he played three seasons in the Seattle Mariners farm leagues, playing baseball for teams in Wisconsin, Washington, California, and Arizona. As a result, we've traveled all over together, hitting Vegas for a long weekend, Seattle for wine tasting, and Wisconsin for, well, cheese tasting. :)

He loves good comfort-style food and is developing quite a wine knowledge, thanks to his dad's help and his fiance's willingness to consume any suggested samples.

He's now in his second year of law school at Duke, where he plays on the school's softball, dodgeball, volleyball, and bowling teams, coming up with crazy team names like, for bowling, "We Object and Move to Strike." And yes, he actually really likes his law school readings and classes. It may be a sign of sickness, but I find it super endearing, and it makes my heart happy that he's found something he loves.

Likes: watching football, Sweetwater beer, funny movies, Entourage, really good sandwiches, nice cigars, ice cream cookie sandwiches, red wine, Pat Conroy's "The Great Santini," back porches, lazy afternoons on the couch, reading, trying new recipes, and me. :)

Dislikes: inefficiency, traffic, wearing a tie/suit too often, too-stiff jeans, missing his morning run, long lines, unnecessarily long phone calls, and bad haircuts.

In general: He's a sweet mostly-southern boy (come on, Atlanta?) who is super patient and loving with my nieces and nephews, who loves trying out new recipes or foods and really values spending time with his family, which includes two younger brothers. He's very thoughtful, going so far as to give up his apartment to my sister this week over his fall break so that she could take her PhD comprehensive exams in peace away from her darling children (2 years and 7 months). Before he left, he called me to ask what her favorite candy was so he'd have it on hand. It's that kind of stuff that really makes me love him.

And yes, I included pictures of the two of us, like this one of us with my niece when she was four days old. Makes my heart melt every time.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think there is one word that would describe him based on your description: PERFECT!
You are both very lucky to have found each other.

Katie said...

Aw, gotta love Bri! Don't know how you actually spell that...
Anyway, Ben hates inefficiency too! Very funny.

Julie Young said...

Very good description Ashley. We won't tell B all the nice things you said about him. :)