Monday, October 6, 2008

Life: 1, A: 0

Chalk it up to a long (and fabulous) weekend, but today was a killer. I woke up early in my own bed (yes, Florence is still "my bed") and headed to the eye doctor to see about a weird eye feeling I've had for longer that I'd like to admit... we'll just round it off to an even 14 months.
To be fair, this is my third appointment about it. The first one, about 12 months ago, concluded with the eye lady (not a doctor, I learned, much to my chagrin) telling me one eye had allergies, which explained the eyelash-like feeling it constantly had. I kept rewetting drops on hand and stuck with it for the last year, then caved a month ago and saw the same lady again. This time she ordered me new contacts which, while great (I can read road signs!), didn't solve the problem. It didn't help that she mentally assigned me as a Bridezilla worrier when she noticed I was newly engaged. I tried to remind her that I'd been there a year ago for the same symptoms when I was ring-free, but I could tell I'd already been filed away for her. Oy. My former roommate K tells me I should use this as an excuse for everything just to see what I can get out of it. "Sorry my copy's late, I'm engaged." "Didn't get to that! I'm engaged." "I didn't have a chance to pick up that cleaning, I'm engaged." I like where her head is.
So I headed home to the land of doctors my family knows and got checked out by the new eye guy in town and he's fabulous. He ran tests I'd never even heard of (ever had strips of paper in between your eyelid and eyeball? I thought not.) and came back with the verdict that it wasn't any form of eye disease. Read: No easy fix. Ok, and no eye disease, which is very good, too.
Basically, according to new doctor, my eye's oil glands aren't behaving well, so I need to keep a warm washcloth on them and wash my eyelashes with baby shampoo for awhile (spa days, anyone?). Here's hoping! B thinks my eye doctors are nutty... engagement-related symptoms, baby-shampoo lash baths. Who can blame him?
All that tinkering with my eyes, plus the early wake up call, left me with a mid-afternoon headache that did nothing for my caffeine-deprived soul (gave up dark liquids, remember?). So I caved, which would mean something except that I caved about four other times this weekend. Sue me. :)
B and I are taking engagement photos next week, so I'm on the hunt for a dress that isn't a print and is not black or white. All my colorful dresses are prints, and all my solid dresses are black, so luckily the end-of-summer sales are raging and I found a few dresses at the mall that I picked up. One is black and white print, the other is houndstooth. I may have totally missed the mark, but I'll be well dressed doing it!
So tonight I'm just anxious for sleep and to see B on Friday when he flies in for his fall break. I need a weekend of sleeping in and indulgent food and hopefully some good long walks.

UPDATE: Life 2: A:-1
I've been wondering why I haven't been getting my Friday afternoon fix of the glorious and wonderful tabloid that is People Magazine, so I checked online today. Turns out my subscription expired a month ago. Where have I been? I know this sounds terrible, but it is my Friday thing to come home after a nice long walk and indulge in a little couch sitting and People reading. Granted, my Friday ritual has morphed into a following Thursday ritual, if I can fit it in between girl dinners and Grey's nights, so it's become less important, but nights like tonight, when the headache hits and the bed is calling, I miss my People. Good thing I work for the parent company. I'm renewing tomorrow. Take that, Life! A:+3

No comments: