Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Spent!

...and I mean that in the best way possible.
I got a wonderful surprise today at work when an email went out announcing that a higher up had an invitation to the grand opening of the new BELK in honor of the 105th anniversary of the YWCA.  Basically a business attire event featuring appetizers and cocktails where you can shop to the tune of a piano, a saxophone, or a guitar, depending on your department.  
Since I was still hunting engagement photo clothes (after a very successful but unproductive shopping trip netting two useless, but cute, dresses), I figured this was meant to be.  Plus I had mom and dad's credit card on hand, you know, in case I felt the YWCA really needed my efforts.
I showed up slightly under-dressed--It's hard to be "Business" when your office is, by definition "Business Casual" and your department, by mutiny, is more "Casual, Kinda Business"--compared to the suits and sky-high heels teetering around me, but I figured that would give me a head start on the deals.  
Waving my invitation, I walked through the doors past security (I kid you not), grabbed a goody bag and a glass of white wine and wandered through the aisles.  I had somewhat assumed that this would be a "look but don't touch" event where I could see clothes but not actually try anything on.  An over-exuberant cosmetics lady showed me the error of my ways, then sent me on my way to the dress section.
Half a glass of wine in, I started gathering dresses, two red, one kelly green, and made my way to the (immaculate) dressing room.  Seriously, nary a pin or lint ball to be seen.  Both dresses were cute, but then the saleslady showed up with a aqua blue-green number that was, well, perfect.  I could've high-fived her I was so pleased.
I took it and one of the red dresses to the counter to pay and realized that not only were they both on clearance, but there was an extra 20% discount for the evening.  Woohoo!  Grabbed a second glass of wine and headed for the appetizer table to sample a few shrimp and some crab dip before grabbing another glass of wine and heading downstairs to the shoe department (Come on! It was a good cause...)
I found a pair of shoes in the close-out room that would replace my beloved nude-colored sandals that have gone the way of the legendary Keds of 5th grade and moved to the register in time to hear the YWCA lady announce her thanks for our shopping that night, and a reminder to check the balance of the gift card in your bag because one was worth $300.
Now, wouldn't you love if I told you that I checked the balance on mine and it was the lucky winner, so I could go back and re-ring my dresses (for free) and buy those shoes, plus a few more full-price friends for them to play with?  Come on now, life isn't that peachy.  Instead, it was a $10 card, knocking my fabulous shoes down from $34 to $24, and making me very happy.
Tipsy from two glasses of BELK's finest chardonnay, I made my way to Ann Taylor (dangerous) and BeBe (less dangerous) before calling it a night and heading home.
I have a dress!  Plus dinner and drinks for a good cause.  Can shopping get any better?  I think not, but I'm pretty sure I'll go check our other store next week, just to make sure...

1 comment:

Katie said...

You can't beat that! What a relief to find engagement picture outfits! I remember that I was in tears shopping the night before my pictures. Oh what fun times of engagement....