Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sleep In For The Cure

I hate running. With a passion. A vengeance, even. I tolerated it in high school while running track (anything .25 miles or less) and playing basketball and soccer (helllllooo conditioning), but then after a freak toboggan injury in college (sled, not hat), well, my knees have never been the same. My excuses, however, have never been better!
I can get out of running anytime day or night, though I do walk lots during the week. Running makes me bored or frustrated, but mostly just bored. B tried to get me to run with him over the holidays last year and quickly learned that (thanks to my .25 miles limit), I have absolutely zero ability to pace myself. We're working on it (right, honey?).

That said, I was wary when my boss emailed me about running in the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure this Saturday. I knew my dear friend J was already planning on running, but now I'd be feeling the burn from two separate personal spheres.

"I wish I could," I told my boss, "but I'll be out of town that weekend." It's true, this weekend I'll be spending lots o' time with B in Atlanta meeting with a priest, watching some football, and hopefully doing some cooking.

"That's ok," she said. "You can still do it--just check that third box there."

I looked at the sign-up sheet and, sure enough, there were three boxes:

1) Race for the Cure-- Run/Walk 1 Mile

2) Race for the Cure--Run/Walk 5 Miles

3) Sleep in for the Cure


Whaa? I can sleep in and my company will still donate the sign-up fee to the cause? Literally, sign me up!

I filled out the paper work then pretty much forgot all about it until today when I got an email asking me to pick up my packet between 1-2pm. I finally got my tail in gear around 1:48 and walked down to get my packet, which held info about the cause, a few discount cards, a long-sleeve shirt, and my racing number: snOOze.

I'm in love. Best gift bag ever. For all of you who are walking/running/sleeping this weekend for the cure, best of luck and thank you for helping the cause. I promise to wear my pink sleepshirt just for you.
PS... There's still time to donate to the good cause, so be generous if you can. This site is for the North Central Alabama fund, but you can donate anywhere, and on behalf of anyone, you'd like. Otherwise, break out your pink this Saturday!

No comments: