Monday, October 27, 2008

Military Science, Modern Warfare, and Me

I can honestly say that, would it not be for my relationship with B, I would never have received this email from Amazon.com:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,
As someone who has purchased military science and history titles from Amazon.com, you may be interested in top books on military strategy and history from Praeger. Explore and examine issues of modern warfare, counterinsurgency, national security, and more.

Um, Hi.

Dear Amazon.com,

Perhaps we haven't met. I'm the girl who orders Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, and children's books. As for gifts, I'm pretty sure the closest I've ever gotten to books on "military strategy" and "counterinsurgency" are the manners books for men I bought for my brothers and brother in law a few years back. While both manners books and chick flick novels could both be seen as grounds for "modern warfare," I'm pretty sure this email was, well, misguided, to say the least. But thanks for the heads up! Now I know exactly what to get my fiance for Christmas.

A

No comments: