Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Savvy Auntie

I like to think of myself as a savvy aunt(ie), but I had no idea that there was a whole support system for other aunties out there just looking to help their nieces and nephews. I'm not going to lie--it's a little freaky to me that aunties, and not moms, dads, etc, are writing for back to school advice, etc, but some topics do make sense, such as "how to keep in touch from long distances," "good gifts for kids," and "helping kids deal with loss," presumably of a mom or dad.
The weird part is the message boards. "Find people just like you!" it says. I think of myself as having a lot in common with various people around the world through different qualities and characteristics: sports fan, Alabama fan, Princeton grad, Nicholas Sparks fan, chick-flick lover, Christian, journal collector, food writer, blogger, and so on, but it would never occur to me to seek out a network of other daughters. Or sisters. So why would "aunt" be any different? Stranger still, the message boards are password protected. You have to join! What super-secret aunt stuff am I missing out on?

The page was started by Melanie Notkin, an "Auntrepreneur." Indeed. This is all very odd to me. Can't quite figure out how to join. Oh well. I'm kind-hearted and genuine and sweet, just another unique forum on the web!

PS... I need this tank top. In mass quantities.

No comments: