Monday, August 11, 2008

"The Day You Changed My Life"

After a week of sporting some new jewelry, a markedly higher vocal register, and a seriously contagious smile, I think I'm finally ready to write down the story of the engagement. Thing is, I feel like it's mine, but I also want to make sure I "have" it forever, so I need to put it up here. Another part of me believes it didn't happen. It couldn't have! Did this great guy really propose? To me? And I get to have him forever? (Ok, I'll stop.)

A few weeks ago, B mentioned going up to Vulcan. "We've never been," he said. "It could be fun." Super low-key. Obviously he knows me. I go into uber planning mode. "Perfect!" I said. "We'll pack a picnic dinner and maybe get some wine?" Little did I know.

The first weekend of August was a pretty perfect weekend. B helped me (and a few girlfriends) throw our friend J a birthday party at the apartment (see Barbie cake), and then Saturday was just a low-key day. We planned to do a lot outside, but it was 142 degrees, so we limited it to a quick hour at the driving range. As we were finishing, a guy yelled (seriously, yelled. In 24 back swings.) "My hat's off to you man. I buy my wife the clothes, the shoes, the clubs, everything and she still won't even come to the range with me." Sometimes it's not worth correcting strangers, so I let the "wife" comment go, but got a few warm fuzzies knowing that lots of the guys out there were envious of B just because we shared something we both enjoyed.

Sunday was great, so great in fact that B kept calling it "a perfect day," though I may have started that. We went to Mass, then grabbed lunch and avoided the heat by watching law and order for a little while that afternoon. A coworker of B's called, asking him (again) to play golf. B had to turn down this guy's last two offers because we were legitimately out of town or busy, so he said he couldn't play a whole round, but could hit a few at the range, if it was ok with me.

Camera left: see me sitting on my couch in PJs with a people magazine, a glass of apple juice, and the remote (not that I'm going to click away from an SVU marathon). I told him I'd be more than fine hanging out in the cool AC and that he should go.

So he went. Leaving his bag of clothes for that night in my room. For two hours. All by itself. Granted, I'm not a snooper, so I didn't look, but what if I had? Eek!

I start making our dinner (antipasto sandwiches from MyRecipes.com) when he gets home around 7, so we throw our sandwich, chips, black bean and corn salsa, wine, camera, and blanket into a picnic basket (along with a few cupcakes for good measure) and head out at 7:30.

We park at Vulcan and start walking in. "You need to buy tickets!" said the security guard. To a park? A public park? I balked, but B pressed on, happy to pay the fee, which turned out to be something like $3.30 a piece, including tax.

We found a table around back of Vulcan that overlooked all of downtown Birmingham and set up shop, opening the wine and toasting a great and long-awaited summer together. We ate, well, everything in the basket except the cupcakes, then went on a little walk around the park, looking at the cool features, then returned to devour the cupcakes and finish the wine.

B's been a cool cat up to this point, though now he says he doesn't really remember anything before the big question. He suggested we go up in Vulcan to the overlook, which was a great idea, because we could look out over where he worked, where I worked, a few places we've had parties, and generally all the lights of downtown.

I'm a little afraid of heights, but I'm doing ok thanks to the four ft high railings, though the perforated flooring was causing a little trouble. I noticed B getting antsy. "There are so many people up here!" he kept saying, despite the fact there were literally four of us, two of whom were on a second date at best and were just talking shop about space flight. We hung around until about 9:30, knowing the park closed at 10, when B suggested we go back down to the ground level.

We went down, grabbed the picnic basket and then walked around to the park side of Vulcan and sat on the lawn looking at the stars. B later told me he panicked when I sat down too. Wasn't I suppose to be standing? We began talking about Christmas and how we'd have to come back here and see if they decorated the trees that line the walk. For some reason, I decided to run over and see if it was a Christmas tree (they looked like them!), and turned around holding a big chunk I'd torn from the branch for B to feel.

When I turned back around, he was on both knees. Undeterred (what is wrong with me?) I ask him if he thinks it's a fir tree, which he quickly confirms and tosses my random clipping aside. "I need to ask you something," he said, shifting so that he's now on one knee. A black velvety box appears from behind his back and he opens it. "Will you marry me?" We're not crying people, we're more huggers, so I instantly sit on that one knee and do my best to deprive B of air with a huge hug, saying (as best I can recall) "yes yes yes" over and over again for at least 2 minutes. After I let him get some air and put the gorgeous ring on my finger (perfect fit!).

Then I went back to covering him with kisses until he somehow untangled himself enough to tell me that there were a lot of things he wanted to say, but in the end, the question was what mattered most and that he picked Vulcan knowing we'd be apart for the next year, so he wanted me to have a place I could "see anywhere in the city, look up and remember the night you changed my life."

We ran down to the ticket booth (now closed) and I banged on the Plexiglas windows until the 70+ volunteer looked up from her money counting, a bit startled. I pointed at my ring, then made the international sign for camera, and yelled "WE JUST GOT ENGAGED!"

Jan, as her named turned out to be, came outside and gave me a big hug and took several pictures before telling us how lucky we were. Apparently, B and I are now "Spear" members at Vulcan, meaning we can go anytime free of charge, with one guest each. Best $6.60 we ever spent! I tried to convince B to propose to me all over town so I could get free things. Zoo admission, Ann Taylor outfits, appetizers at Hot and Hot, but no dice. I think he's glad he asked, but thankful he only has to ask once.

Love you B!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

couldn't happen to better people. i'm glad i've known you both and jealous you have such an amazing story to share forever! now i just have to make sure no girl i ever date reads this or i'll never live up!