Thursday, January 8, 2009

We'll Invite The Whole World

No seriously, get out the phone books. Dial up whitepages.com. I am ready to invite everyone to the wedding, or at least tell them to save the date. Why you ask? Because I have mastered Mail Merge.

Oh yes, this is me, the girl who left her printer jammed in college for four months, neglected to update her operating system oh, say ever while in school, and will usually go to great lengths to avoid all things electronic. Yes, I write a blog. Yes, I work for a website. Your point?

I've been keeping the master list on my computer and needed to convert it to an Excel sheet so I can make mailing labels for the Save the Dates. This I can do, I think. Ah, export. Easy enough. Step 2, Mail Merge.

Now this is new, so I did what I always do... Excel Help. Type in "Mailing Labels." Up pops a 11-step solution to merging all your important mailing label documents. I got through step nine, then printed an entire page of "First Name Last Name Address City State Zip Code" neatly arranged in lines. Hm.

Doing things I don't even really understand, I finally worked it out and got my mail merge list, or so I thought. The first name isn't one I recognize, so I'll have to ask Mom about it, but for now, I'm Queen of the World, or of the mailing list address labels, whichever sounds better to you.

No comments: