Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Favorite Holiday Moment

On Christmas Eve, the whole family got together at my brother and his wife's home in Florence for a shrimp and cod stew, cornbread muffins, and a smorgasbord of delicious desserts. Since I did zero in helping with prep or serving, I rolled up my sleeves and helped with the dishes for a while until I noticed that B had wandered away.

I found him watching Man vs Wild or whatever that crazy show is with the guy named Bear or something with two monkeys snuggled up right next to him. Apparently, when Nana left, Alex told B that he could have her seat, but only until Nana came back, and then he had to go. Well, Nana saw her opening and departed, leaving B with two sleepy, snuggly kiddos.

When I found them, Alex was a little propped over on him but Lily was all into his shoulder. I came down and sat on a chair opposite the trio and Lily caught my attention.

She took her tiny hand and, like a little old lady at church, patted B's arm affectionately while looking at me. "B's going to stay here tonight," she told me, rather directly.

I teased B that he definitely had a way with younger women, but it totally melted my heart to see that sweet little rugrat utterly willing to throw me under the bus in order to keep B around to celebrate Christmas morning.

No comments: