Thursday, January 8, 2009

CyberBullying

I write this knowing full well that it may make zero sense, but I'm sitting in my office now crying from laughter in my cube at work, literally shaking trying to hold it in... shaking so hard that I kicked my chair adjustment bar out of place. So, to recap, laughing, crying, shaking, and sitting under my desk. Even if it's not fully apprecaited, it must be shared.
One of my friends started dating a boy a few months ago and we've gotten a few updates now and then. She's turning in a paper (God bless her, she's working!) and we girls on the email chain decided to be sassy:

Me: If he wants to know us, we could just friend him. all of us. In the same 3 minute span. Very discreet. :)

C: oh RIGHT. he did say he wants to be our friend. eliminate the middleman. i like the way you think johnson.


Then C & I go ex parte and have this convo on gchat:

me: we should all act like we're doing it jsut to see how long we can keep her guessing. Then at the end say it didn't happen


C agrees and we start adding our "updates" on the email chain:

C: eeeeeee! yay for new friends....

Me: He's super fast with the friend confirmations... 2 points for Mr. K! I don't know about those new pics though. Hmmm..

C: love it. interesting music tastes, too.

Me: Did you see the college groups he joined? Hilarious! Love it. I can't wait to meet this guy. It seems like he has a great sense of humor. C, did you see the NYTimes article he posted a few weeks back? Right up your alley.


At about this time, it hits me that the other friend on the chain might not pick up on our sarcasm, so as I send this email, subject line: JOKE

It just occured to me that you might not realize that C and I are kidding. We did NOT friend him, but just rather decided to see if we could make her sweat when she read the thread. Then I had a moment when I realized you might be like, "these crazy people, but oh well, friend him it is!"


And as I wrote that, our friend, R, wrote on the real email chain:

shoooooot .... i was 5 minutes behind! ... blast for putting off my email checking in order to get some work done .... foolishness!!


Continue ex parte convo by C and myself:

C: hahaha. read R's email. AAAHAHAHAH

me: I LOVE it!

C: SHE FRIENDED HIM

C: i am dying

me: no, she's kidding, right? I emailed her!


Then R sees the JOKE chain...

R: NO WAY-- i just friended him ......HA! you better do it now too!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

R: oh my gosh .... can't believe i did that ...... so uncharacteristic ..... seriously though, you guys should friend him-- that'd be way less weird for me if you did :) ..... pleaaaaaase :) :) .......

Me: HAHAHAH. I can't breathe.

C: you're kidding. you are just trying to get us to do it.

R: is there a way to unfriend someone without them knowing? ..... oh boy .... i am concerned that neither of you have responded in the past three minutes .... please write back .......

C: i am dying

R: oh my gosh ..... totally NOT kidding!! .... pleeeeeaaaaase .......

C: we gotta get E to hack his account

Me: OMG I'm going to get fired.

R: hahahaha ...... guys, i don't think there's any way to undo it!!!!!

C: lets try and guess his password. whats his favorite number? birthday/year? pet's name?

Me: Street he grew up on? Pennsylvania Avenue, right?

C: oh yeah.... try 55.lee-harvey/oswald!sucks

Me: Ok, so now do we put something on the "real" email? I vote for silence. Renee, YOU FRIENDED HIM?? HAHAHAHA

R: AHHHHHHH .... you guys stink!!! .... i have found his duke email address-- what if i write and explain the whole thing ..... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

R: ok, that would be worse, right?

Me: I can'twait until the wedding... "R, have you met C?"
"Yeah, actually, we're facebook friends."
BAHahaha

R: guys, he's got a blackberry, and i think he does more facebook than i do, judging from E's comments, so i bet he has email forwarding ...... i dunno about the mission impossible ..... thoughts??

Me: Ok, so this email chain has listed: Kennedy, Mission, Lee-Harvey, Oswald, Pennsylvania Avenue, lie. alerts, password, and dying... Think we're being monitored yet?

1 comment:

cps said...

maybe you had to be there but i PROMISE it WAS that funny (THAT FUNNY) at the time. my abs are sore.