Monday, January 5, 2009

"I Want To Go See Jesus."

At the Christmas Eve service at my church in Florence, they pass out candles and, following the service of readings and songs, we sing Silent Night while the congregation passes the flame to each other in total darkness. It's a beautiful moment of seeing light in darkness and tuning out everything else around you and just focusing on the heart of the season.

So, not thinking, when my nephew (almost 4 years old now) asked me who the baby was that was crying, I responded, "That's baby Jesus!" Bad move, Aunt A.

Whenever the baby cried again, he'd fidget around and when his Mom asked what the problem was, he'd say, "I was to go see Jesus!"

He was a hoot the whole time though. Having just learned Christmas songs at school, he was super excited for the singing part, though very disappointed at our church's selections. "I DON'T KNOW THIS ONE," he'd say, when my Grandma asked why he wasn't singing. Then, when he did know one (Away in a Manger), he'd proudly proclaim, "WE LEARNED THIS AT SCHOOL! I KNOW THE WORDS!"

But you know, if you can't be a kid at Christmas, when can you? It definitely kept us awake during the service.

No comments: