Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Is This a Recording?

As we draw (slightly) nearer to the wedding date, I'm trying to nail down all the must-not-miss details, like the marriage license. Turns out that in Alabama, the marriage license is good for marriages state-wide, but is only valid for 30 days. Not wanting to be last-minute (and trying to sneak in another excuse to see B before the wedding), we're going to have him fly in for a weekend in April to take care of the license and any other last-minute stuff that might pop up.

So I've been calling around to get the info and just spoke with the Jefferson County Courthouse, where they have a line devoted solely to marriage license inquiries. So you'd think that would mean they'd have all the answers instead of, oh, say, reading them to you from the website.

Lady: Marriage License Office, how can I help you?

Me: I have a question about obtaining a marriage license for my upcoming marriage.

Lady: (silence)

Me: Um, Is it true that I can obtain my license from Jefferson County but still marry in a different county of Alabama?

Lady: (pause) The marriage license must be obtained no more than 30 days in advance of the marriage ceremony, but may be obtained in any county of the state of Alabama for use in any country of the state of Alabama. You must then return the signed license to the same county courthouse from which the license originated.

Me: Oh, so that means that, after the priest signs it, instead of letting him process it, we'll have to get it from him and bring it back down to Birmingham?

Lady: I didn't say that ma'am. I said, "You must then return the signed license to the same county courthouse from which the license originated."

Me: Oh. Ok. Um, can you verify that the cost is $43.50, cash only?

Lady: Yes, I can verify that.

Me: I know many government offices are closed on Good Friday, which is when my fiance will be flying in to help take care of this. Will your office be closed on Good Friday?

Lady: I can only tell you that I do not see it on my vacation calendar that we will be closed on that day.

Me: So you can't say you'll for sure be open.

Lady: I can say that my vacation calendar does not list that date.

Me: (silence) Well you've been really helpful. Thank you for your time!

Lady: Congratulations.

1 comment:

cps said...

o. my. gosh.

next improv class.

yesss.