Monday, September 1, 2008

Getting to Know You

While in Durham, I started thinking about this post, and then I read C's blog about getting to know your new roommate, and knew I had to write.
B and I are learning different things about each other. He already knows that I a) stress about travel, b) like to plan, c) clean when anxious. I already know he a) is OCD about work-related things, b) will never have enough DVDs, c) could eat the same meal, so long as it's good, for several days in a row. We both love Law & Order, especially SVU and back porches. Ok, and cigars, good wine, and Esquire Magazine.
But now that we're in this new "marriage mindset," we're learning new things. This weekend, I learned that B likes all his collared shirts to face left in his closet, while his t-shirts face right. As for me, he learned that, even if I put mustard on my hamburger, sandwich, hot dog, etc, I still want a little extra on the plate, for dipping.
So far no "Hellman's vs store-brand" falling outs, but it is fun realizing what we don't know. I think he believes me to be crazy for enjoying the check-writing ritual of paying bills (he prefers online bill pay), but I can always counter with the fact that I'm paying bills. So that should be a bonus on my scorecard. I don't know what we'll learn next, but that's part of the fun. You never know when you'll discover a little distance, and difference, between you, and how eager you will be to embrace it.

1 comment:

cps said...

Yes! I was totally thinking about all you almost marrieds and newly weds when doing my thinking.

You know, piles are one of my favorite things about you, too :)

Additionally:
--multiple rounds of the alarm/snooze button (didn't i warn the masses about that before? and actually, that was crazy-making.)
--dislike of white foods (cream, milk bases are OUT, B!)
--if perfect eyebrows are up there, can perfectly smooth (or at least optimally smooth) legs go up there, too?
--your love of anything soft/fuzzy to wear. and green. green fleece/cords/etc its yours.
--snuggle time!

love you, too, roomie!! i will have to remind B that i was your roomie first.