Friday, September 5, 2008

Catholic Church: 3, B&A: 0

I'm glad I have thick skin because it seems that no one wants to marry us. Seriously, I feel like a guy. I ask these people "out" (to perform our ceremony) and each time the cute girl runs back to the cheerleading squad, points at me, and laughs (figuratively speaking, of course). We're even getting shot down from people we haven't asked yet! Here's the basic email exchange, paraphrased so I don't get a first-class one way ticket:

Excerpt from my email to our appointed Deacon:
B and I have just learned that Father Joe (from Durham) will be unable to perform our wedding ceremony due to an overlap with the graduation ceremonies at Duke. We're currently exploring other options including a Pastor from Birmingham and the Abbot V from Florence. However, B grew up at Holy Spirit, specifically with Monsignor D. Do you know if Monsignor D performs wedding services?

Response from the Deacon:
As a rule Msgr. D does not celebrate out of town weddings.

As a rule I don’t either.

Ouch! Seriously. Three turn downs. Ok, so it's kind of funny. Funny enough to blog about, though part of me wonders if I should give future celebrant prospects the link to my blog to shame them into saying yes ("you don't want to be featured, doooo yooooou?"), but today I'm stressed about other things in life. Yes, I have other things in my life. Really, I do!

Looks like I'll be at work late (not due to blogging, thanks, but waiting on video conversions, argh) and I've got some stuff I need to get done in the next 24 hours, plus what feels like a mounting list of things to plan out for the fall. I need to book appointments, make decisions, and somehow nab some "me time" (aka treadmill time, these days). But what I really need to do is forget that B is visiting his parents this weekend for job interviews only a few hours from here. I'm dying to drive over and see him, but I just can't do it today. He needs to work, I need to just chill. But I think I'll go clean something first...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Shoot, just dress Dorian Flynn up in a black outfit with a white collar. No one will really know...

A said...

Did you know I had to track him down to get an official copy of my baptism certificate? Love him.