Friday, September 5, 2008

Baby Shower Fiesta!

Last night I helped throw a shower for my coworker E who's having a baby the first week of November. So fun! She's having a little girl and wasn't really into the whole sugar-sweet type of event, so instead we threw a Mexican-themed party with quesadillas, cheese dip, sangria, beer, moonshine (yes, moonshine), and a single root beer, for the mom to be. I work with some great people.
We had a blast and it was fun to catch up with coworkers outside of work. Invariably, you end up talking about work anyway, but it's less of a "did you get those TPS reports done" and more of a "do you remember when R said that at the Christmas party? CLASSIC!" Regardless, it's a fun way to get to know your boss, coworkers, interns, and beyond a little better, which always makes work a little better.

When I first met B's extended family at his grandparent's 50th anniversary party (believe you me is that another post--we'd only been dating 4 months!), one of his uncles passed on some advice that has been useful to me time and time again. It's helpful in family situations, at after-work events, and for all the lawyer meet-and-greets we (happily!) attended this summer.

B's uncle, also B, pulled me aside right after I arrived and said:

There are three rules to surviving a family reunion...

1) It's only two days, so don't swear.

2) Don't drink too much, but definitely drink something.

3) Don't disagree with Granny about politics, or anytime after 5pm. In fact, don't disagree with Granny ever.

I think that's brilliant advice, and I really have loved how it's applied all over my life. B's Granny is a great lady, so the point of Rule 3 isn't Granny-specific, rather it's about not raining on the Guest of Honor's parade. Why on earth would I argue with Granny the weekend of her wedding anniversary? No need. Getting hammered (Rule 2, you'll remember)? Time and place, my friends. And as for Rule 1, I think "swearing" covers a myriad of ill-advised behavior, including snarkiness, pouting, impatience, and huffiness. Seriously, "it's only two days," do you really need to do that here?

It all loops back to what your mom taught you--you're in public, please behave like you deserve to be. We all get huffy sometimes, and occasionally swear (Not me of course, but I'm sure you do...), and that's ok. But do you really need to do it in front of the future boss your fiance's trying to impress, your coworkers, or your fiance's Granny?

So the baby shower was great--went off without a hitch, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to share my Rules for Dealing With Life, courtesy of B's uncle. Maybe I'll print them on the back of the Save the Dates...

No comments: