Friday, September 12, 2008

Off to Atlanta

Seems like every week I'm posting about heading off to here or there... oh wait, I am. B's in Atlanta today doing some interviews for next summer, so we're going to spend the weekend hanging out with his parents, seeing his high school buddies, and just relaxing. Can't wait! Next weekend starts the mayhem... Anyone interested in the minute details of my life can keep reading (um, and then volunteer to find me a dress or something):
Sept 12-14: Atlanta with B
Sept 19-21: Florence with B and B's parents for rehearsal dinner prep
Sept 26-28: Dress shopping in Atlanta. No B allowed!
Oct 3-5: L & R's wedding in Florence
Oct 10-12: Atlanta with B
Oct 17-18: B in Birmingham for engagement photos, golf, and football
Oct 24-26: Chicago to see former roommate C!
Oct 31-Nov 1: Dress shopping with/for mom in Birmingham
Nov 7-9: Pre-Cana classes in Atlanta

Whew! Then it's two weeks until Thanksgiving, then three until Christmas. Then it's 2009, and five months until the wedding. Where did I put that paper bag? Breathe, breathe.

I'm super excited, can you tell?

But, for now, I'm focusing on this weekend, which is suppose to simply be enjoying seeing everyone in Atlanta. B's mom's birthday is later this week, so I made her a new version of Carb-- Asiago Rosemary Sourdough. We'll discover together if it's any good. I hope it is--I had to drive back to the supermarket last night when I figured out that I'd forgotten to buy bread flour after work. Grr.

Last night was kind of a wash anyway. Usually I only watch maybe five of my 78 cable channels, but recently Charter decided to shuffle all my stations, so those little "favorite" hearts B so wonderfully assigned my channels are now meaningless. I've found the Law & Order station (TBS? TNT? Should be L&O.), but for everything else, I must surf.

Anyway, I stumbled across the History Channel where they were replaying a compilation of civilian video footage from 9/11 in a kind of countdown to the event. It was amazing, profoundly so in its basic nature. You were in people's apartments, on the street, in stairwells, and across the river watching the story unfold. Interesting, because, while the cameras were always on the towers, you got to experience the filmers' lives for a few minutes... the group of twenty-somethings having to figure out, on their own, whether to stay in their apartment (one block from Ground Zero) or evacuate...the parents who couldn't look away from the windows but kept sending their young child in the other room to lay down...the TV reporters desperate to get past the blockade, then thankful that they hadn't been allowed through.

They say tragedies are great equalizers. Money couldn't buy a seat in a lifeboat on the Titanic, and status, rank, and reputation held little clout on 9/11. Not in a bad, belittling way, just in a way that everyone around the towers was sharing in the same experience at the same time on the same day. It was amazing to watch. So amazing that I spaced out for two hours while watching, forgetting all about my need to pack, make bread, and clean. I think that, maybe, it was suppose to be that way.

Off to Atlanta in an hour. Can't wait.

No comments: