Friday, February 6, 2009

Vote for Us!

B and I are finalists in a Valentine's Day Competition for Best Valentine's Day story... Please take a minute to email

"I vote for number 4" to info@myscoop.us

If you'd like to read the other entries, check them out at My Scoop, or just read ours below. Either way, please vote asap!

4. In 2004, my Valentine and I were fighting. Not speaking, in fact. We were both in college and I was still in my brooding "I just need to think" stage, so I told him not to talk to me for a week, meaning the Cold War would thaw, you guessed it, on Valentine's Day. He came over that morning and asked to take me out that night. I agreed, but said I didn't want to go someplace nice or fancy, because that wasn't "where we were." (See? Brooding!) We started driving down the highway that night looking for a place that would fit "where we were" and, when we turned into a shopping center, I saw it: Quiznos. Bless his heart, I made my Valentine take me to Quiznos for dinner on the most romantic day of the year. The ladies behind the counter were angry to be working that night anyway, so when they saw us, clearly on a date, walk in to their sandwich shop on Valentine's Day, they directed their anger at my sweetie on my behalf. Being a little touchy still, I played into it a little, acting overly excited when he said to get whatever I wanted. ("Anything? Oh wow!!," with much false enthusiasm.) Even as we sat down to talk over our conveyor-belt toasted subs, I could feel my frustration and anger fading away, in part due to having had a week of distance and in part knowing that this sweet guy was willing to endure my mild, "I'll have the BIG sandwich" jabs. After dinner, we headed next door for piping hot Krispie Creme donuts before returning to his car. That sweet man and I are engaged now, nearly five years later, and no matter what fancy place we go for birthdays, anniversaries, or random Tuesdays, we always keep an eye out for what we've deemed "our restaurant."


No comments: