Sunday, August 23, 2009

In Durham!

Friday went off without a hitch-- we got my entire apartment packed into a truck in 90 minutes. If anyone is moving in Birmingham, book Remarkable Movers. Don't think twice, just do it. They were the least expensive and super amazingly efficient. Can't say enough good about them.

We drove to Atlanta Friday night and had a great dinner with B's parents, then convinced them to watch the wedding video before we all turned in around 1am.

Saturday morning we left around 10 after a lazy morning on the back porch and a delicious quiche breakfast. Six hours and two tanks of gas later, we arrived in Durham at my sister's family's new house--it's beautiful!

We got the full tour then unloaded a few of the things into the house before packing up the car and heading to B's apartment --OUR apartment!-- to get settled. I'm so lucky-- B had spent hours cleaning before he left, so we arrived to a fully furnished, totally clean home that only needed a few finishing touches, including my clothes and books, plus a few little things from my apartment.

After a few hours of organizing and putting away, we headed back to the house to have dinner with the family. Something about moving day just screams "pizza!", and we had a blast just catching up.

As B and I were driving over for dinner, it really hit me. We're here. We're finally at this place that we've been working toward for three years, furiously so for the past nine months. I'm not sure I've ever reached that kind of goal; college was expected, my job is ongoing, but this, it's amazing. We're finally here, and it's amazing. Our stuff is comingled, and it's amazing. I went through our DVDs and books, removing duplicates, hopelessly linking me to this man (or risk losing a few of my favorite hardbacks).

We got started this morning by running errands-- going by the law school, buying B's books, and making a Costco run. Next on the list is Home Depot, then out to dinner with his parents.

Even though we've been married for three months, it feels like we're fresh out of the gates again, hopelessly happy despite a few unpacked electronics gathered at the foot of our couch. This is going to be a great year.

No comments: