Sunday, November 2, 2008

Two-Hour-or-Less Thanksgiving: Shopping Edition

As I was first starting to plan for this big "fastgiving" event, as J as dubbed it, I pulled together a menu of all my favorites that scream Thanksgiving to me: turkey, gravy, sweet potatoes, creamed corn, green beans, ambrosia, rolls, and stuffing. Ok, full disclosure, I don't normally even eat turkey on Thanksgiving. Hello? There are sweet potatoes to be eaten!
I've helped mom with Thanksgiving for a long time, starting with making place cards and napkin rings (brilliant, mom) and now by helping with sides. So obviously I've never cooked a turkey, much less purchased one and prepped it (explaining why I woke up this morning at 7am in panic because I didn't have a turkey thawing in the fridge yet. Thank God for fresh turkeys!)
Another new one for me-- everything is from scratch. While we generally do all sides and, of course, the bird homemade, we have a kind of tradition at our house of having a cake from a specialty store and Sister Schubert yeast rolls. When my grandma was alive, she used to make the rolls, but since then, we've gone the Sister Schubert route and, if you've ever had them, you know- perfection. And we don't mess with perfection.
So off I go this morning to Publix at 8am (thank you daylight savings time) and pick up, literally, a ton of ingredients, and way more groceries than I've ever purchased. It only took an hour, which is pretty good, especially since I can't tell a green onion from a shallot. The shopping list included two kinds of rice, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, three herbs, and a delicious fresh turkey.
Tomorrow's the big day. Wish me, and my poor kitchen, luck!

No comments: