Saturday, November 22, 2008

Defining Moments

I've had several defining moments today. Some I'm proud of, many I'm not. A few were preventable (hello, please eat something before 3:30pm), some were not (why oh why is my car sputtering now??). All defining moments. All while trying to register. Which should not, for all practical purposes, be stressful.

B was a champ. He kept getting crazy phone calls about china patterns, everyday plates, store choices, and, finally, car noises. What's wrong with my car? Nothing, I hope. But it started sputtering between 0-24 mph, smoothing out after that. Sometimes I push the gas and it does nothing, like when I try to back up. Then the engine light came on. All things lead to "not good," but the service center is closed until Monday at 7:30 am, by which time I hope it will have "calmed the hell down" (the new M-coined phrase at work) and sorted itself out.
Otherwise, I'm going to have a date with the dealer, only it's really more like a surprise date since they don't know I'm coming. I tried to tell them, see, to set up an appointment, but apparently the dealership phone lady isn't the same as the service phone lady, so even though I suggested (rather kindly!) that she go check their appointment book (so as to know if 15 other people have the same 7:30 idea in their minds), she declined. Sigh.

The good news is that I think I found a china pattern that B will love, and some good options for everyday plates. I had no idea it was such a puzzle... finding something you like that isn't likely to be discontinued that is carried by stores in Florence, Atlanta, and Birmingham.
Nothing's been scanned or selected yet, but we have a short-list, I guess you could call it, that I'll show B when he's home for Thanksgiving. Then we're off to the races.

I had hoped this weekend would be a relaxing, calming weekend, but instead of having it handed to me, it seems that I'm going to have to make my relaxing weekend. I can choose to get upset and worry about my car, or I can acknowledge that there's nothing I can do about it until Monday at 7:30 am. I can choose to get caught up in the flurry of picking plates and kitchen items for a table and kitchen that I don't have, or I can enjoy it and think how blessed I am to have the luxury of shopping for such items.

Really I miss B and I'm pouting. It's my go-go-go weekend, so last night I tackled Quicken (go budget go!) and tomorrow J and I are taking on a fun baking adventure (details to come).

No comments: