Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Day in the Life of a "Freelance Writer"

A wise friend once told me there's a fine line between being a freelance writer and being unemployed. I have to say, I don't disagree! Luckily, I've been blessed with a) work and b) encouragement!

It's been a while since I posted about work. Granted, no one's telling me he has pee on his knee or asking me to please please PLEASE go see the dinosaur bones again or trying to behead me with a light saber, so my current work is arguably less eventful.

That said, I'm doing fairly well settling into such an unstructured work life. Last summer, when I was at B's parents' house, I was working from home for my former Birmingham job, meaning that if I wasn't sitting at my desk between 9-5 central, I felt guilty, despite the fact that my former employees and coworkers certainly encouraged lunches, drs appointments, errands, etc, when needed. Granted, I did enjoy taking time off. Lunch with B's parents. Pedicures in the afternoon. But I was always working around schedules and feeling like I needed to make sure I was covering all my bases.

This summer, there's no one to answer to and, so far, it's been great. My main struggle is that it never goes away, so I can spend a whole day not working and feeling a little guilty, then realize that, hey, that's fine. I just have to do it tomorrow. I need to learn to either do it and move on or accept that I'm not going to do it right then and enjoy the day.

Currently I'm working on two websites (finished by the end of the month) and Travel blogging about two different cities (neither of which I currently live in). The upside? B and I hadn't really planned on having an income after I left my job in January, so having the extra funds this spring and summer has been a nice bonus. Plus, I have work to do while B's working, which greatly cuts down on the amount of time I spend playing with his hair and trying to sit on his lap while he's answering Bar review questions.

I don't know what Florida holds for me. Will I get a "real" job? Truth be told, I'd love to find a bakery and knead, ice, and mix my heart out for a year. I'd love to do something, if only to have a set schedule (so long as it fits with B's; no night work here!) and save up for what are sure to be coming expenses (home purchase, furniture needs, friends weddings!), but I think I'll keep trying to find freelance work, too.

I know this doesn't make me sound like a "real" writer (hello, wishy-washy), but it's all in a day's work, I suppose!

No comments: