Sunday, January 31, 2010

Babysitting Sunday: Gender Edition

Just got home from a short stint with my occasional kiddos (ages "almost three" and one-and-a-half). So fun! The wee one was under the weather, so he went down around 6:30 but "almost three" and I set up furniture in her dollhouse and made a sticker animal farm for about an hour. All in all a great Sunday night!

Being with kids so much really makes me wonder: is it worth it to fight the gender line? Have one 14-month-old who has a kickin' wooden kitchen and baby dolls, but you can't tear him away from his little McDonald's Happy Meals toy cars. My "almost three" lady? Spending time with her reminds me of what I was like when I was little-- I could decorate my Barbie playhouse for hours and hours on end (furniture in, furniture arranged, furniture out, rinse, repeat). I had zero interest in Nerf toys, especially as I was often on the business end of those bad boys during play fights with Todd.

So what's the deal-- do you give in and go with the gender stereotypes? Firetrucks, police cars, robots; dolls, play houses, and all things pink. I'm sure there's some balance, I'm just thankful I don't have to find it yet.

B's out at the gym playing basketball, quite the accomplishment as we were snowed in only hours ago. Turns out only the third-ary roads are bad (primary and secondary are pretty solid). Here's hoping it doesn't freeze too badly tonight and that B gets home safe soon! PS-- the house smells amazing from the pork fried rice he made tonight. Did I hit the jackpot or what?

No comments: