Monday, December 1, 2008

Wedding Planning Moment of the Day

For the past week or so I've been working on getting the registry organized. It's a weird thing to pick out things you want other people to buy you. Feels dirty. I do think it would be excellent therapy for compulsive online shoppers. If you're really just in it for the thrill of the purchase and not the actual stuff, then you can "shop" away, filing all those goodies into your registry rather than your cart and your AmEx bill.

B and I are still figuring out where to register. We need stores that are in Florence and Atlanta (ha.) that have the things we've picked out all the while being mindful of not registering at 100 stores, which would leave us with bits and pieces of store credit all over two states, more if you count our out of town guests. Thank God for the internet, as that makes online orders easier, but still.

Plus, you have to consider return policies at individual stores. I'm sure we'd love to register at Target, you know, for all those little things you actually need (towels, whisks, spatulas, cookie jars...), but word is that Target only lets you return by section. That means, if we somehow ended up with 500 towels, we could only exchange them for other towels, bedsheets, or curtains. Likewise, if we were gifted 10 whisks, we could only exchange within the cookware family. It's not so bad when you think about it, but organizing that exchange session ("I'll see your whisk and raise you a cutting board." "No, this receipt goes with that to exchange for those, not these.") just seems painful.

So it's no surprise that Macy's, where I added all my information for the registry before shopping so I wouldn't have to spell out both our names, addresses, phone numbers, so on & so forth, is not emailing me, upset that I haven't updated my registry with any actual products. The latest email is the best:

"we know you're not scared of commitment (but it looks like your registry is)"

They went lower-case and sans punctuation to make it look all friendly and low-key, but they're serious. Apparently I have 90 days before they delete me. That's the rule-- they delete blank registries after 90 days. However, your registry apparently lives on for years after your wedding date. You tell me how that makes sense.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Actually, returns at Target are easy if you have the gift receipt and/or it was from the registry. If you have a receipt, there are no hassles. If it was from your registry but you got too many or the wrong color, just print your registry from the store and they'll take it back with store credit.