Friday, December 5, 2008

It's Beginning to Sound a Lot Like Christmas...

Whenever I'm doing mindless things at work (programming, setting channels, and so on), I pop in my earbuds and crank up the ipod. If I'm writing, I set it to a specific musical (Rent or Les Mis these days) and power through. I know the songs so well that they don't distract me and, crazy as it sounds, I'm really inspired by beautiful words and lyrics, so hearing I Dreamed a Dream or On My Own doesn't depress me, but rather gets me moving forward. My next purchase? Hopefully the Hairspray soundtrack. (I can feel you judging, you know.)
Most days, though, I set the ipod to shuffle and let it run away with itself. I like being surprised by favorites that remind me of college workouts (freshman year!), writing my thesis, and late-night chats in the dorm. Not knowing what will come next is liberating. One less choice to make.

Generally, this poses one problem--B loaded a ton of fabulous Christmas music onto my ipod, which is wonderful, but disproportionate to the number of regular songs I have (I haven't updated since... college. Oops.), which usually leaves me pushing the fwd button more often than not.

So this morning I was programming away when good old Bing starting singing about a White Christmas and as my finger went on auto-pilot to reach for the "next" button, I realized that it IS the Christmas season! Bring on Handel's Messiah and Mannheim Steamroller. More Charlie Brown Christmas, please! And you can be sure that Mariah's All I Want For Christmas will definitely be on repeat in the weeks to come.

It's official! Let Christmas begin...

1 comment:

cps said...

seriously? my blog is more up to date than yours... not ok.

also, my word verification thingy below is shidepo. weird combo of letters. i wonder if they have code in place so that fourth letter wasn't, say, a 't'...