Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pie Success

I posted before Thanksgiving that I was desperately trying to find the recipe for B's grandmother's pumpkin pie with meringue topping. B's aunt came though and provided us with the hand-written recipe for the delicious pie. I'm thrilled with how it turned out, but I think B's grandma might've been more crafty than we suspected. Like my grandma, she offered instructions like "cook the filling" outside the pie shell, but no further details as to how or how long. We went saucepan for about 20 minutes on low. His dad and I were afraid to let it cook too long, thereby setting up in a saucepan rather than a pie crust, but I think we might've underestimated it instead. The result was a (delicious!) pumpkin pudding with a meringue topping and crust (mostly) on the side.

We've decided that (darn the luck) we'll just have to try the recipe again.

The other pies turned out amazingly well. The Candy Bar Pie was over-the-top rich, only slightly balanced by its pretzel crust, and the apple pie, well, I live for apple pies and this one was perfect.

No comments: