Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Grandma's Christmas Card Letters

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Remember last year's edition of Grandma's Christmas Letter? Well, it's that time of year again!

I went to the mailbox today and amidst a pile of magazines, bills, and cards was Grandma's Christmas letter. If you didn't read last year's post (above), you really must before continuing, otherwise you'll want to send me hate mail for the post to follow.

A slight recap for those of you unfriendly with linked content, my Grandma is 91, living in the house my Mom grew up in, driving a late-nineties white sedan, and spending her time playing bridge, swimming at the Y, and having dinner with her friends. In short, she's in great shape and fabulous. One of the reasons I'm sorry to move away from Birmingham is that I'll no longer be within five minutes of her, or have a (205) area code so she can call me anytime she likes and leave messages that always, always, always end in her leaving her phone number (again, the number my Mom has had all her life!). Believe me, I know it!

So this year, her card came and it made my heart swell so much so that B & I sat down right then and there and had our annual reading. The opening line sums it up best:

I thought about "no more Christmas letters" but then you'd wonder if I were alive, so I am alive and loving being active even if I have a hard time getting out of chairs.

Ack! I love Grandma! She really knows how to get your attention! But don't worry, she didn't sell it all out in the opening; she closed in her classic phone-call way:

My phone number is (205).... Call me after 7.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahaha. Your family is hilarious! I love your stories!