Monday, March 15, 2010

Come Hell or Tide Water

B & I are hosting some fellow Florida-bound Durham folks for dinner. We're bringing the burgers and (surprise, surprise) dessert. I went to (a store my lawyer husband advised me to omit) to grab a few buns for the burgers and tomatoes. While there, I remembered that we were almost out of laundry detergent and (hurrah!) it was on sale for $4 off, making it about as good a deal as Costco (minus the drive and in a smaller size. word.).

So off to the register I go and sign the payment for $4.16. Actually, it was so cheap that I didn't even have to sign, which made me cock my head a little.

As I was walking out, I was thinking, something's off here. Buns, $.97. Tomatoes $3 per pound. Tide... free?

Oh yeah, that's right. They didn't charge me. So there I stood outside of (a store my lawyer husband advised me to omit) (in my car, actually), wondering what to do. I came home and asked B, who assured me I didn't steal the Tide.

So what now? Do I take it back? I saw her scan it, but it must not have registered. I know my Sister took something back that was mis-rung once and the lady thought she was insane.

Once I had to tell the lady that the yoga mat and the yoga mat bag were two separate items and should be rung as such. She looked at me like, "Why did you tell me that? Now I have to charge you." There, at the register, I thought there was no way I was doing hot yoga in hell over a purple mat, so I insisted that she ring it.

In my car, it wasn't so much about wanting the free Tide, but at feeling like returning it and forcing them to charge me for it would be such a frustrating endeavor that I just came home.
Bad person? Crazy day? I keep having this flash to the Vegas commercial where St. Peter flips through the Good Book before letting someone into heaven and says, "Hm, there seem to be some weekends missing." Boom, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." I just don't want St. Peter to open my book and find a picture of a Tide bottle pasted in there with a glue stick.

Man I wish I'd gone to Costco.

No comments: